Before you buy discount kitchen cabinets, there are some quality tests you should make. There are cabinet dealers who offer lower quality cabinets under the “discount” designation. But if you look around and shop carefully, you can find one of the dealers who offer high-quality cabinets at discount prices. Cabinets really are not the place to sacrifice quality in the name of savings when remodeling a kitchen.
If you will spend some time looking at sample cabinets and asking key questions before you decide where to buy discount kitchen cabinets, you will be able to ensure buying high-quality discount kitchen cabinets (where only the price is lower) instead of cheap low-quality cabinets.
Here are the five things you should look for:
- Look at how the drawers are made. High-quality cabinet construction does not include staples or nails to hold drawers together. They are not just glued together, either. Good construction will make drawers with dove tail assembly. A good drawer in discount kitchen cabinets will be able to support about 75 pounds when it is open. It is generally wise to avoid thin particle board drawer construction.
- Look at the sides and back of the discount kitchen cabinets. This is an important indication of quality. The case of the cabinet – sides, top, bottom and back should be of solid wood that is at least one-half inch thick. You will create a lot of heat and steam in your kitchen. Thin cabinet casings can warp. Plywood is also not recommended because of the glue and layering, which has a tendency to warp.
- Finished interior surfaces are a true test of the highest quality cabinetry. Some discount kitchen cabinets will leave these surfaces unfinished. Not only does this create an unappealing appearance, but it leaves the wood subject to damage and splintering. This could be harmful and very inconvenient.
- Look for adjustable shelves. This is a definite indication of the quality of discount kitchen cabinets. It does not mean there is anything wrong with the construction of the cabinets, if they meet other quality tests, but it causes a lot of wasted space that you probably need for storage in your kitchen. Shelves can bow (just like bookshelves) from weight and moisture. Insist on shelves that are at least 5/8 inch thick.
- Check the quality of the hardware and the appearance of the hardware. Cabinet doors can be installed in two ways. One style of construction allows the hinges on the doors to be seen. In this case, you will want to check the finish on the hardware to ensure that it will not be damaged by moisture and that it matches other metals used prominently in your kitchen.
By paying careful attention to these five tests of discount kitchen cabinets, you can buy the quality you want at a discounted price and not risk purchasing inferior quality in the name of discount kitchen cabinets.